I’m going through an experimental phase at the moment trying out new subjects, sizes, and colours, and it doesn’t always go smoothly. I’m on the third version of an engraving of a head (a new thing for me so I’m less sure of my footing) and hoping this one will make it as far as the Albion! I started out thinking I would like to make a smaller engraving than usual – my nudes are usually either 6 x 6 inches or 6 x 8 inches – but then wasn’t happy with the size so abandoned that block. Then I started a bigger version but decided I wasn’t happy with a couple of the lines and eventually abandoned that one too. If it’s not right it’s just not right. Version three is further along but there’s still plenty to do before I try a proof – I hate to go back to an engraving after the block has been inked up – it is so much harder to judge the lines; I generally work on the basis of getting it right first time. I can only think of one block that I binned after proofing, and truth be told, I probably knew that that one was rubbish beforehand. My current struggle is all the more frustrating when the design probably took me about two minutes to draw – mind you, that was also unusual!